Re: Python2.6

On Feb 2, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:
>> On 02/02/2010 03:32 AM, James Westby wrote:
>
>>> Beta 1 of lucid is scheduled for March 18th. That's the point at which
>>> we want to start widespread testing, and so would be a perfect target
>>> for launchpad to run on 2.6.

That work is not scheduled for this date, for the reasons Muharem and Max said.

I expect we'll be pursuing 2.6 about half-way through the year.  My current thought is that we would switch to 2.6 in the same cycle that the data center would switch to Lucid, but maybe we want to divide up the changes for risk management.  I need to coordinate with the LOSAs.

I do agree that we should target having Launchpad runnable on Lucid by that date (and it sounds like maxb and wgrant have already done some or all of the necessary work).

>> IIRC this was discussed extensively in Barcelona last year and the
>> agreement was to include python2.5 in Lucid as well.
>> Wasn't doko supposed to prepare a PPA that would facilitate the
>> installation of python2.5 on Lucid systems?

That was my understanding as well.  I'm pretty sure it already exists, but I'm not sure where it is.

> python2.5 is already not a supported version in lucid, which means
> various python module packages are no longer built to support it.
>
> I'd assumed the python2.5 interpreter itself would remain in universe
> for lucid.
>
> As for the various module packages which have dropped support, between
> myself and wgrant, we already have the ~launchpad PPA for lucid up and
> running on this basis.

Great to hear.

Gary