Re: UI and other questions about +patches view (bug #255868)

On 16 February 2010 16:36, Karl Fogel <kfogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For all of you following bug #255868 (which is about linking to the new
> "+patches" view from the web UI), some questions:
>
>  * Do you like the two screenshots I just posted at
>    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/255868 ?

Thanks for asking.

I wish we could see this actually deployed and in use; hopefully the
new branch landing model if implemented will let you get user feedback
more directly.

The first puts patches onto the project homepage, which is kind of
nice, but merge proposals will look very hidden by contrast.  I'm
really a bit concerned that we're creating another thing in Launchpad
were the same essential concept (here "please take my changes to your
code") gets two different UIs and representations.  (Various comment
mechanisms, bugs vs blueprints vs answers, ...)  Certainly dealing
with patches that are attached to bugs is a good thing, and I wouldn't
want to hold your change hostage, but it's not great.

For instance your screenshot has a prominent "submit code" button
which will take you into an entirely different workflow to the patch
list.

The most direct answer to this would be to stick merge proposals up
there too but that would just pile on complexity.

Is having patches on the project homepage really something that's
widely desired?  Why not hang them off the bugs home page?

Jorge's comment in
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/255868/comments/1 >

>> This would make the launchpad page for each package more useful to upstream developers who want to see all the distro patches in one place

would be a great story but sounds like you're talking about pulling
out all the changes from the packaging branches, which is different
again.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>