Re: UI and other questions about +patches view (bug #255868)

Hi, folks.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 16:36, Karl Fogel <kfogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For all of you following bug #255868 (which is about linking to the new
>> "+patches" view from the web UI), some questions:
>>
>>  * Do you like the two screenshots I just posted at
>>    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/255868 ?

[snip]

> Is having patches on the project homepage really something that's
> widely desired?  Why not hang them off the bugs home page?

I have to really agree with Martin here.  I would actually take this a
step further and say this *shouldn't* be on the overview page.  I know
you've done a lot of work here, Karl, and I'm sorry I didn't catch
from the bug that this was the direction you were heading.  I should
have read more closely.

I don't think we should have a patches section on the overview page
because all the other sections there (bugs, packages, questions, etc.)
represent top-level objects or sections of Launchpad.  Also, Martin A.
felt very strongly in the UDS discussion that the overview pages
should be very general-use pages and this feels like a very specific
feature being kludged on to the page.

I really think an "[N] bugs with patches" link in the filters on the
bugs home page, e.g. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone, is
sufficient.  I know it's not much, and I know there is the temptation
to feel all this work on patches should be more fully exposed.  We
just need a link to +patches view and a filter with a count seems the
right way forward, IMO.

Cheers,
deryck

--