Re: New merge workflow to keep features on edge until they have been QAed

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not convinced about the auto-merges from feature branches to edge:
> it could be good, but it may be better to get to this process in small
> steps and automatic merges seem like a potential source of problems,
> and at the very least you will need to write and debug the
> auto-merger.  If the feature branch is where most of the work takes
> place then merging it edge should not be a burden for developers to do
> individually.

My first comment is similar but stronger. I don't think feature
branches should auto-merge to edge. If we do this, all feature
branches will need to be tested by buildbot which places an
unnecessary burden on Losas. It also places an unnecessary burden on
developers, as not only do they have to ensure the tests pass but they
have to ensure that their feature branch is usable (in the real world,
sometimes the tests get written after the code or there are tests
missing). I think manually doing a pqm-submit as desired will result
in less work, stress and smaller ec2 bills.

My second comment is the diagram doesn't specify where 'small bug
fixes' (which seems to be the majority of my work) gets QAed. Maybe it
doesn't belong on this diagram, or maybe we need a db -> 'qa small bug
fix' -> devel loop in there.

Otherwise looks fine and makes sense to me.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/