Re: Build from recipes to multiple series

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:16:11 +0000, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A derived recipe isn't designed for readability. To understand what it
> means, you need to be able to look at the parent recipes. The
> difference between "insert-after" and "insert-nest" causes me to pause
> and think when I read them. All of these combined make me think that
> derived recipes can confuse newbies.
>
> I think it's pretty much inherent to derivation though.

Agreed. I plan to have a way to see the complete recipe, and you may
want to implement that in the web ui too.

Do you think that the difference in the insert-* methods are
warranted? Just having insert-after means you can't do one thing (modify
a nested branch that is currently unmodified in the parent), so I put it
there for completeness.

> >>  * Why not "remove"?
> >
> > If you aint gonna need it...
> >

> OK, you've convinced me. Let's wait for a use case :)

I guess I'll see whether the implementation means "remove" becomes
trivial.

> >> What's the next step?
> >
> > I need to know that the proposals here allow for the desired UI to be
> > implemented, and we need a decision on the two options in the
> > multi-series proposal.
> >
> > Once we have something that works well for the user experience I can
> > implement it or help someone else through the process.
> >
> > I will be waiting on confirmation from the LP team on what they would
> > like to have, preferably with (updated) mockups that outline how they
> > will map to the new features.
> >

> OK. I don't have an opinion now, but will cultivate one carefully over
> the next few hours.

I just spoke to Michael and he is happy that the current mockups work
well with the proposals, so that's one step closer.

Do we want input from the design team/Mark on the mockups/changes at
some stage?

Thanks,

James