Re: Automatically setting the bug task status from the branch scanner

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:13:39 Tom Berger wrote:
>> On 12 April 2010 06:04, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > As discussed before I'm tackling the JFDI approach and I'm going to get
>> > the scanner to update the bug-task status [1].
>> >
>> > I'd like the bug-task to be set to in-progress when it is linked to the
>> > branch, and fix-committed if it is linked to a branch that was marked as
>> > merged through a merge proposal.
>> >
>> > Since the scanner is a script, what do you think the best approach is so
>> > that the appropriate subscribers get notified?  I had a brief look at
>> > the bug code but it was not clear to me exactly how to proceed.
>>
>> I can't find the relevant bug or thread right now, but fwiw this was
>> previously discussed and iirc the conclusion was that this might not
>> be desirable. One problem I've had with this approach is that it's
>> quite easy to link to a wrong bug because of a typo on the command
>> line, but since the user is likely to not be subscribed to
>> notifications from the bug in question, they might not discover the
>> mistake immediately. I'm not sure this is really a deciding factor,
>> but wanted to make sure I remind you of this problem before you
>> proceed.
>
> Acknowledged.  We are not marking it fix released, just in progress or fix
> committed

I haven't had time to read the rest of the emails around this thread,
but I just want to follow on what Tom is saying here.  We did discuss
in progress before, and I'm not a fan of toggling the bug in progress
when a branch is linked.  Lots of people mis-link branches and someone
could link a branch just to provide a patch but they have no desire to
work on it further.  I do support marking bugs Fix Committed if a
linked branch is merged.

Cheers,
deryck

--