Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On 11 June 2010 16:29, Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Graham for this explanation.
>
> So given this, IMHO, I'd like to preserve the current genre of thinking of
> conversation (answers, code, bugs) as mailing list and such have comments be
> sent using the current form of From: Me <my.preferred.email@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm unclear on how the address book situation affects your preference,
because we're not actually talking about changing anything that will
affect users' address books in any case.

 1. Addresses are *only* added to your address book when you send an
email to them.
 2. The Reply-To address on all bug mail is currently
    "Bug $foo <$foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>".
 3. We're not proposing to change this at all (after all, people have
    to be able to reply to the bug).
 4. Therefore, your proposal to keep the status quo and Barry and Martin's
    proposal to have everything come from <$foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx will have
    the same effect as far as the address books of people who reply to bug mail
    are concerned.

> Now, status changing and other such notifications are probably not
> conversation but should be thought as a status notification and as such should
> probably use a robot address (so bug@xxxxxxxxxxx is probably appropriate).

Why not <$bugnumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>? That's what gets used now for
notifications not associated with a person, or triggered by a person
with no preferred email address, or a person with private email
addresses.

> Now, what about the case where we batch changes together, we should probably
> inspire ourselves from mailing digest then. And that's probably a robot adress
> again.
>
> But I'd really like that we keep using the poster email for comments, which
> makes sense given that those can be triggered by an email in the first place.

I can sort of see the argument here for using the user's preferred
email address, but there's still a slight (only slight) whiff of
Launchpad spoofing the email.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D