Re: RFC: One True Way of addressing notification emails.

On June 11, 2010, Graham Binns wrote:
> On 11 June 2010 16:29, Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Now, status changing and other such notifications are probably not
> > conversation but should be thought as a status notification and as such
> > should probably use a robot address (so bug@xxxxxxxxxxx is probably
> > appropriate).
>
> Why not <$bugnumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>? That's what gets used now for
> notifications not associated with a person, or triggered by a person
> with no preferred email address, or a person with private email
> addresses.

Yes, what you are suggesting is what I meant.

> > Now, what about the case where we batch changes together, we should
> > probably inspire ourselves from mailing digest then. And that's probably
> > a robot adress again.
> >
> > But I'd really like that we keep using the poster email for comments,
> > which makes sense given that those can be triggered by an email in the
> > first place.
>
> I can sort of see the argument here for using the user's preferred
> email address, but there's still a slight (only slight) whiff of
> Launchpad spoofing the email.

I don't think it matters to be honest, it allows people using the web and
email to interoperate in a transparent manner. We may want to use additional
warnings like we do on the Contact a user feature to distinguish between
comments posted via the web. And people will always complain:-)