Re: Edge CodeBrowse

On 1 July 2010 01:20, Max Kanat-Alexander <mkanat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>        So, I think there should be an edge codebrowse where loggerhead code
> can be tested before it goes into production.
>
>        This would first require a stable branch of loggerhead that is
> different from the trunk. I'm going to discuss that on the bzr list.
> Once we have that branch, then production should only run the stable
> branch.
>
>        Edge can be running either:
>
>        * The stable branch before we put a new bug fix into production
>        or
>        * The trunk, if we're going to be updating to trunk soon.

Sorry, I know I suggested multiple threads so I can only blame myself
for the multiplication.

I think you should branch off a "stable" branch pretty soon based on
the current trunk.  If it's stable enough to be on our only codebrowse
instance at the moment, it's stable enough to stay there.

The actual server runs a distinct lp-loggerhead branch.  We should
decide whether that branch is still necessary and if so when it will
merge from where.

I think the main question about what runs on edge is: what will give
us the most useful data?  Perhaps at different times either something
slightly newer from the same stable branch, or trunk, would be useful,
and we just need to agree that you and the Launchpad team will flip
it.

There is no reason it specifically needs to be called 'edge' and since
that's a slightly quirky term perhaps we should avoid it unless it
really means the same thing it does for Launchpad.

Presumably we can do these as vhosts and actually have
bazaar.alpha.launchpad.net and bazaar.beta.launchpad.net running the
tip of the stable branch and the tip of trunk respectively?

We could also think about how people will be sent to these.  Perhaps
to start with we should just let people manually type the URLs.

--
Martin