Re: Edge CodeBrowse

On 06/30/2010 06:49 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> I think you should branch off a "stable" branch pretty soon based on
> the current trunk.  If it's stable enough to be on our only codebrowse
> instance at the moment, it's stable enough to stay there.

	I understand what you're saying, but it's *not* stable enough to be
your only codebrowse instance at the moment. The LOSAs nicknamed it
"codebounce". I get the impression that it's the least-stable part of
Launchpad. Last time I asked the LOSAs, it was crashing about four or
five times a day (although at least now it is recovering and restarting
itself properly, thanks to the fixes I did and probably other work).

	I really like loggerhead's UI and its general feature set, but it's not
that stable.

> The actual server runs a distinct lp-loggerhead branch.  We should
> decide whether that branch is still necessary and if so when it will
> merge from where.

	Apparently, thumper says that the branch has already been merged into
loggerhead proper.

> I think the main question about what runs on edge is: what will give
> us the most useful data?  Perhaps at different times either something
> slightly newer from the same stable branch, or trunk, would be useful,
> and we just need to agree that you and the Launchpad team will flip
> it.

	That sounds reasonable.

> There is no reason it specifically needs to be called 'edge' and since
> that's a slightly quirky term perhaps we should avoid it unless it
> really means the same thing it does for Launchpad.

	Well, I suspect that infrastructurally, it might be simplest to call it
the same thing as the Launchpad testing site. But really, it's
"testing", whatever we happen to be testing at the moment.

> Presumably we can do these as vhosts and actually have
> bazaar.alpha.launchpad.net and bazaar.beta.launchpad.net running the
> tip of the stable branch and the tip of trunk respectively?

	That's a LOSA question, but if you do have those, I think they should
be on separate machines. Loggerhead has a history of OOMing the machine
that it's on or taking up all the I/O time, and I don't want to think
something is wrong with beta just because alpha crashed.

> We could also think about how people will be sent to these.  Perhaps
> to start with we should just let people manually type the URLs.

	Well, and for at least one of them, Edge Launchpad should point to it
and use it.

	-Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Competent, Friendly Bugzilla and Perl Services. Everything Else, too.