Re: velocity slides on VCS <-> deployment of webapps

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Curtis Hovey
<curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 12:08 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Quite interesting if you're interested in the deployment/code
>> management interactions.
>>
>> http://www.paulhammond.org/2010/06/trunk/
>
> This presentation is great. It co-incidentally relates to an important
> discussion the Launchpad team leads had in January. We had an action
> item to explore two competing ideas: controlling the mix of branches, or
> configuration. Neither spike has seen the light of day.

It's a shame, too.  I know I wax philosophical often enough about the
advantages of getting rid of our current release process, but I really
wish we could adopt "always ship trunk" as our mantra for Launchpad
development.  I know there are some who cringe at this thought, but it
seems to me we would be better served by making it super easy to get
changes to our users than by being overly paranoid about any bad bits
slipping through.  We do have that 4 hour test suite run to protect
us. ;)

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever see much done along these lines until
we as the LP team see the value in continual rollouts and make up our
mind to set that as a goal.  If we start with that goal, then I'm
certain we have the talent across Launchpad and LOSAs to make it a
reality.

Cheers,
deryck

--