Re: Location of the registration slot

Hi Henning.

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 14:21 +0200, Henning Eggers wrote:

> 1. It is inconsistent with pages that don't use the registration slot.
> The
> page title and and the bread crumbs line should not be separated.

Yes, I agree. The move is better solution than what we had, but it is
frought with problems.

> 2. It was a bold move to put the bread crumbs _under_ the title in the
> first
> place but it worked out quite well. (Yeah Martin!) Moving it further
> down the
> page, though, makes it harder to find out where the page is located.

The registration is not about the bread crumbs. It is about the
context/primary context and it should be adjacent to it which is why I
chose this position.

The other option is to move that information to the side or bottom and
ask everyone to rewrite their registrations to include the context's
name so it is clear what was registered. Given that there are pages that
place status information in a immutable slot, I rejected asking the
teams to fix the data.

> 3. It just looks messy. A big, bold headline, followed by an italic
> English
> sentence with some graphics, followed by the bread crumbs (normal and
> bold
> face), all without any margins - Sorry, that hurts my eyes ...

Look at it for a few days. I hated the position at first, I do not mind
it now.

> My suggestion is simple: put the registration slot under the
> breadcrumbs with
> "margin-top: 1em". That would fix all of that and keep the
> registration
> information in a visible spot. Here are some screenshots of how that
> would

I tried that and rejected that for the reason stated above. I think the
separation on the bug page made it unclear what was registered, the bug
or the bug tasks below.

We certainly can land more fixed for this and we can move the slot--I
think I fixed all the tests that were wrongly testing the header
information for their templates.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/