Re: Generic Colletion?

On Monday 02 August 2010 06:33:53 Martin Pool wrote:
> On 2 August 2010 11:55, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I think that it would be valuable to put some performance things to
> >> watch out for on that page too.
> >
> > I'll add a note.
> >
> > Thanks for doing this.  I was still kind of waiting for other solutions
> > to show up that might supplant mine (for instance Storm apparently has
> > something built in now) but I guess such a thin and convenient interface
> > never hurts anyway.  It gives us some freedom to mess with
> > implementations, too.
>
> I talked a bit to Jamu at the Rally about collections, and I recall
> there being some good reasons why we should use the builtin Storm ones
> rather than the Launchpad collection.  Unfortunately I left my memory
> of the exact differences on the other side of the world but maybe he
> can repeat it?

Based on some of the text in https://dev.launchpad.net/Collections I am also a
bit concerned that there's some overlap with our utility IXXXSet classes.

"Which will mean that you can getUtility(IAllFoo) to start working with a
collection. "

This is functionally identical to getUtility(IFooSet) which is our existing
pattern for collections (and there's webservice exports for those too).

I'm sure there's a good reason for all of this, but I don't get it I'm afraid,
can you educate this dunce?