Recommendations arising from round 1 of the derived distro testing

Hello Julian,

CCing participants so they can clarify or follow-up and launchpad-dev
for visibility.

Here are my suggestions for how to change the derived distribution
series mock-ups, based entirely on the feedback from our round 1
testing participants.

Mock-up 1: Creating a new derived distro series

 * In general, improve the field descriptions and UI text so as to
explain what impact each option has.
  * In particular, for Name, Title, Display Name, etc, amend the field
descriptions found at https://edge.launchpad.net/projects/+new
 * Clarify, both in the UI text and with pop-up help if necessary,
what it means to select or deselect "Initialise series from parent"
 * Offer checkbox lists to select the architectures and parent packagesets
 * Consider offering the option to make the derived distroseries
private straight away.

Mock-up 2: New portlet for the distroseries page

 * Consider offering graphs, over time, for these numbers.
 * Consider offering a pie-chart representing the current state of
these numbers.
 * Consider adding a fourth line, and subsequent fourth click-through
page, that shows how many packages have been modified in the parent
series but are not present in the derived series.
 * Clarify the wording of these links:
  * "8 local differences" might be better as "8 packages different
between Derilucid and Lucid"
  * "24 local packages not in parent" might be better as "24 packages
in Derilucid not in Lucid"
  * "4 missing packages in cloned packagesets" might require a
tool-tip for further explanation
 * Ensure these links match the meaning of the titles on the
click-through pages. "4 missing packages in cloned packagesets" does
not seem to mean the same as "Packages in 'Derilucid' but not in
parent series 'Lucid'", does it?
 * Explain what a sync is, tell people if it will overwrite their changes.

Mock-up 3: Local package differences

 * Clarify what "Version", "Base version" and "Upstream version" mean.
  * Consider using the derived and parent series names where appropriate.
 * Clarify what it means for a package to have a different "Version"
and "Upstream version" but also "No local changes"
 * Consider offering more diff options
 * Consider using Ajax to enable a sync in-line
 * Allow people to make comments on each entry

Mock-up 4: Missing packages

 * Again, consider clarifying what the column title "Upstream version"
means and/or name the series we're talking about
 * Again, allow people to make comments on each entry
 * Offer an idea of how those missing packages might fit into the
derived distro.
  * If you synced one of those packages, would you have all the
dependencies you need?
 * Allow the user to hide an entry

Mock-up 5: Unique packages

 * Offer a next action: what do I do about this?

Transcripts and audio of the interviews are available here:

https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/DerivativeDistributions/UserTestingRound1

These recommendations are also available here:

https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/DerivativeDistributions/UserTestingRound1/Recommendations

--
Matthew Revell -- https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting