Re: PG 8.3 vs. 8.4 sampledata wars

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:20:44 -0400
Brad Crittenden <bac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Launchpad developers are currently in a state where some have
> upgraded to Postgres 8.4 while others continue to use 8.3.  The data
> centers have not upgraded and I'm unsure of the schedule for doing so.
>
> The conflict exposes itself when generating sampledata.  The output
> of pg_dump for 8.4 is different (just ordering, I think) than for
> 8.3.  So each time sampledata is updated by someone using a different
> PG version than the last person, the result is almost a complete
> replacement of the current*.sql files.  The generation of sampledata
> now includes a comment stating which version of pg_dump was used for
> generation.

When I had this situation on postgres 8.3 (the current db-devel
sampledata had been generated using postgres 8.4), stub and Bjorn both
told me to upgrade to postgres 8.4 and regenerate my sample data.  I
think Bjorn even blocked the landing until it was re-generated.

I assumed this meant we all needed to be on postgres 8.4.  My upgrade
was complicated by the fact that Launchpad developer dependencies wants
postgres 8.3.

Cheers,
Paul