PG 8.3 vs. 8.4 sampledata wars

Hi,

Launchpad developers are currently in a state where some have upgraded to Postgres 8.4 while others continue to use 8.3.  The data centers have not upgraded and I'm unsure of the schedule for doing so.

The conflict exposes itself when generating sampledata.  The output of pg_dump for 8.4 is different (just ordering, I think) than for 8.3.  So each time sampledata is updated by someone using a different PG version than the last person, the result is almost a complete replacement of the current*.sql files.  The generation of sampledata now includes a comment stating which version of pg_dump was used for generation.

I don't have a solution, just raising the issue.

--Brad

Follow ups