Re: performance tuesday - a few notes

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:09:56 +1000
Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm glad you're doing performance Tuesday.  (I wonder if a one-day
> timeslice is enough to really enough for the average bear to land
> anything in lp, but perhaps it is if you're all ready to go.)

I wondered this too, but I've been reading Robert's emails hoping to
find some tools that could allow us to make small performance changes
in a day, as well as keep you from rabbit holing.

I got the feeling from talking with Robert at the Epic that we need to
have a cultural change where we build tools that will help us solve
complex problems easier.  Right now, it usually entails a LOSA (or
someone who can run queries), some knowledge of SQL (which, personally,
I've been slacking on because we have this nice ORM), and sometimes an
extensive knowledge of Storm (which doesn't have great documentation in
the first place).  I suspect with Robert focusing so much on this,
we'll start to see patterns form that help us to all pitch in on
performance day.

Cheers,
Paul