Re: performance tuesday - a few notes

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:02:13 +1200, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The latter are trickier because we want to get all the related data we
> want at once, no more than needed, and no less. If we get more things
> go slower, and if we get less we scale poorly as the page gets busier
> (e.g. more builds). The pattern I've tried in registry with
> _all_members should help considerably, once we get the cache coherency
> stuff sorted (which strictly speaking only really affects the test
> suite : production clears storm caches between requests, and so caches
> on model objects have no lifetime in the actual server).

What's the issue here, generally speaking?  It's possible to arrange for
caches to be cleared on many boundaries -- for example, the per-request
security policy cache is cleared when the principal changes, which
happens during login.  Clearing all @cachedpropertys like this might not
scale very well, but otoh there might be something we can do.

Cheers,
mwh