Updating the Maverick and running Launchpad

Hello rocket scientists.

Launchpad Engineers should be updating their systems to Maverick.
Launchpad contributors may choose to do this now too. The following is
some information that may be helpful to complete the upgrade.

===================================
Adventures in Upgrading to Maverick

        from a terminal run
            update-manage -d

        I experienced this error on all three computers:
                Key (error): Could not calculate the upgrade
                An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the
                upgrade:
                E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks,
                this may be caused by held packages.
                 This can be caused by:
                 * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
                 * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
                 * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

        Which is possibly this bug which has an ongoing list of packages
        that cause the problem
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/614993

        I was running Unity from a PPA. Regardless of this error, you
        can manually resolve the issue by downgrading packages from
        PPAs. I had to download some of the lucid packages from
        Launchpad and use dpkg to --force-downgrade because synaptic
        would not let me choose the alternate package version.

==========================
Launchpad and Postgres 8.4

        I ran the script, but there were errors. I manually started PG
        then
                sudo -u postgres dropuser $(id -un)
                sudo -u postgres createuser -s -d $(id -un)
        Make schema worked fine. See
            https://dev.launchpad.net/DatabaseSetup
        for the details of what the script is supposed to do.

=================================
Launchpad and Storm and PyschoPG2

        Storm and PyschoPG2 for Maverick break Launchpad.
           https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/631010

        You will see errors in the test suite or running Lp link this:
                ProgrammingError: operator does not exist: text = byte

        The fix is to use an older version of PyschoPG The
        python-psycopg2-2.0.13-2ubuntu2 deb can be downloaded from the
        build page for your architecture:

        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/psycopg2/2.0.13-2ubuntu2
        Run
            dpkg -i --force-downgrade python-psychopg2*.deb

        I am reinstalling this after every update. I chose to keep this
        unpinned because I hope this will be fixed in either Ubuntu's or
        Launchpad's archives.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/