Re: How to QA your code for continuous rollouts

On 09/23/2010 11:04 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 12:50, Maris Fogels <maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> This mail is a quick guide to landing your code using the new QA flags and
>> process. You need to follow this process to keep our new system of continuous
>> rollouts flowing.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> As a developer you have the following responsibilities:
>
> How does this work for people who aren't full time (or 'serious')
> Launchpad developers?  I am in that category and I hope we can
> increase its population.  These people, I assert:
>
>  * have enough to do to just lp running, getting their bug fixed, and
> a test written
>  * may have only a limited timeslice to work on lp; may just go away
> when it expires
>  * are going to be very strongly encouraged to do more changes in
> future by seeing their work promptly rolled out
>
> What I think would be approximately fair and efficient, and coherent
> with bzr's piloting, is:
>
>  * a core developer will sponsor the changes and do this tracking,
> explaining what they're doing
>  * they'll ask the contributor to do qa when the change is on staging
>  * they'll bounce it back to the contributor if it fails qa
>  * if the contributor times out, the core dev will finish the change,
> or revert it, or whatever

That sounds very sensible.  +1

> One specific question: what does it mean if a bug is associated with
> an mp but has no qa-* tag?

I believe the qa-tagger will come along and put the right tags on the bug for
you - probably qa-needstesting.  You can not escape it.

(If I am wrong, I am sure Ursinha will correct me).

--
Māris Fogels -- https://launchpad.net/~mars
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting