Re: How to QA your code for continuous rollouts

Hi all,

I'm really glad to see all of this happening.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Maris Fogels
<maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 09/23/2010 11:04 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> > On 24 September 2010 12:50, Maris Fogels <maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> This mail is a quick guide to landing your code using the new QA flags
> and
> >> process. You need to follow this process to keep our new system of
> continuous
> >> rollouts flowing.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> >> As a developer you have the following responsibilities:
> >
> > How does this work for people who aren't full time (or 'serious')
> > Launchpad developers?  I am in that category and I hope we can
> > increase its population.  These people, I assert:
> >
> >  * have enough to do to just lp running, getting their bug fixed, and
> > a test written
> >  * may have only a limited timeslice to work on lp; may just go away
> > when it expires
> >  * are going to be very strongly encouraged to do more changes in
> > future by seeing their work promptly rolled out
> >
> > What I think would be approximately fair and efficient, and coherent
> > with bzr's piloting, is:
> >
> >  * a core developer will sponsor the changes and do this tracking,
> > explaining what they're doing
> >  * they'll ask the contributor to do qa when the change is on staging
> >  * they'll bounce it back to the contributor if it fails qa
> >  * if the contributor times out, the core dev will finish the change,
> > or revert it, or whatever
> >

> That sounds very sensible.  +1
>

> > One specific question: what does it mean if a bug is associated with
> > an mp but has no qa-* tag?
> >

> I believe the qa-tagger will come along and put the right tags on the bug
> for
> you - probably qa-needstesting.  You can not escape it.

That's exactly what happens: qa-tagger will find all bugs associated to a mp
and tag them properly (qa-needstesting or qa-untestable, given the case).

Note: qa-tagger processes all bugs that are linked to the source branch of
your mp, so if you're reusing branches to land fixes (hi Robert :P) tagger
will re-tag all linked bugs (even if they're not related to relevant fix).
There's a bug filed to fix that [0].

[0] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/qa-tagger/+bug/640566