Re: How to QA your code for continuous rollouts

On Friday 24 September 2010 03:50:42 Maris Fogels wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This mail is a quick guide to landing your code using the new QA flags and
> process. You need to follow this process to keep our new system of
> continuous rollouts flowing.

Firstly, thanks for writing this up Maris, I'm really excited to see
continuous rollout starting to become a reality.

Also thanks to the QA team for their hard work on the QA tools!

> There are a few different situations you will meet in your day-to-day
> development cycle and we have a set of QA tags that are appropriate to
> each. Below is a list of the most common situations and how you set the QA
> status appropriately.

[snip]

There's one more scenario that I'd like to see - marking a change as already
qa-ok when it lands.  In the Soyuz team we frequently do QA on unlanded
branches on the dogfood server, partly because it's easy for us to do this,
and partly because we're extremely uncomfortable landing some kinds of changes
without a *lot* of QA first (over several weeks).

Right now I am using the [no-qa] tag for PQM which makes the scripts mark the
bug as qa-untestable.  I'd like it if we could have a [qa-ok] as well to
indicate that QA was indeed carried out sucessfully.  This would also reduce
my frustration when I forget that the tagger script happily removes my qa-ok
tag and replaces it with something else. ;)

Cheers.