Re: 10.10 release deadlines

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Edwin Grubbs
<edwin.grubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're drawing to the close of another release for Launchpad and I want
> to state the deadlines we're approaching so there are no surprises.  Here
> is the schedule for this week:
>
> On last Thursday, PQM was closed.  All subsequent
>   submissions are release-critical only.
>
> Tuesday 22:00 UTC - devel will be closed to new branches.
>   All landings will then go to db-devel.
>
> Wednesday 08:00 UTC - Buildbot is put into 'on demand' mode.
>
> Wednesday 12:00 UTC - Deadline for submitting to PQM.
>   All queued branches submitted to buildbot.
>
> Wednesday 15:30ish UTC - If there are buildbot failures they are
>   dealt with ASAP and a single [testfix] branch submitted.  When the fixes
>   are in, a new run of buildbot is initiated.  If buildbot has no
> failures then
>   the build is the one that will be used.  No new work will be accepted.
>
> Wednesday 20:00 UTC - Final decision about which build we will use
>   for the release.  Normally the build corresponding to the last
>   clean run of buildbot is used.  LOSAs begin their preparations for
> the roll-out.
>
> Wednesday 22:00 UTC - Roll-out of the release begins.

Thanks Edwin.

It seems to me that we'd benefit by merging db-devel to devel the
moment that devel is frozen : then we'll avoid any possibility of
conflicts between the two branches during the remaining timeframe.

Doing this we could also be deploying just from devel rather than
db-devel, rather than switching between them just for the once a month
release.

-Rob