Re: 10.10 release deadlines

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Edwin Grubbs
> <edwin.grubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We're drawing to the close of another release for Launchpad and I want
>> to state the deadlines we're approaching so there are no surprises.  Here
>> is the schedule for this week:
>>
>> On last Thursday, PQM was closed.  All subsequent
>>   submissions are release-critical only.
>>
>> Tuesday 22:00 UTC - devel will be closed to new branches.
>>   All landings will then go to db-devel.
>>
>> Wednesday 08:00 UTC - Buildbot is put into 'on demand' mode.
>>
>> Wednesday 12:00 UTC - Deadline for submitting to PQM.
>>   All queued branches submitted to buildbot.
>>
>> Wednesday 15:30ish UTC - If there are buildbot failures they are
>>   dealt with ASAP and a single [testfix] branch submitted.  When the fixes
>>   are in, a new run of buildbot is initiated.  If buildbot has no
>> failures then
>>   the build is the one that will be used.  No new work will be accepted.
>>
>> Wednesday 20:00 UTC - Final decision about which build we will use
>>   for the release.  Normally the build corresponding to the last
>>   clean run of buildbot is used.  LOSAs begin their preparations for
>> the roll-out.
>>
>> Wednesday 22:00 UTC - Roll-out of the release begins.
>
> Thanks Edwin.
>
> It seems to me that we'd benefit by merging db-devel to devel the
> moment that devel is frozen : then we'll avoid any possibility of
> conflicts between the two branches during the remaining timeframe.

If devel is frozen, how would we get conflicts between it and db-devel
before the rollout?

> Doing this we could also be deploying just from devel rather than
> db-devel, rather than switching between them just for the once a month
> release.

When you say "deploying", are you talking about the fact that we have
to land RC branches on db-devel? I think this dance is all
necessitated by edge, since we can't update it after db-devel is
merged into devel. Since we already switch to landing on db-devel when
pqm closes, I don't think that switching back to devel on the day
before the rollout really provides any benefit.

-Edwin