Re: Page and Windmill Test Experiment

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Deryck Hodge <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Robert Collins
>> <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> 2) Whats the rollback strategy?
>>
>> I see this as "re-enable the tests and go back to what we have now."
>> I feel like that is too simple an answer for your question, so maybe
>> I'm missing something that your concerned about?
>
> Its just that tests tend to bitrot when they aren't run. It may be
> hard to turn them back on.

Yeah, that's a valid concern.  I don't see anyway to avoid that risk.
I don't think 3 months is so long that the bitrot will be that huge
should this prove a failure, but that's just a gut feeling and I have
little to base that on, save how often page and windmill tests seem to
be changed normally.  Usually the changes are simple string
substitutions.  I, of course, would be willing to take on this pain
and fix the tests since I'm the one proposing the experiment.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge