Re: Page and Windmill Test Experiment

On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Deryck Hodge wrote:
> FWIW, while the pain of Windmill has been acute lately, I don't recall
> a month without some form of Windmill pain since I've been working on
> Launchpad.

Point taken.

I'm still not convinced myself, and would much prefer the integration-tests-for-deployment story, but I'm just a vote.

> I feel the same about page tests.

Something I should have said in my first reply is that discarding the Windmill tests worries me; discarding the page tests frightens me, unless the unit test coverage is much, much higher than I believe it to be.  I think these two parts of your proposal should be separate.

Perhaps a reasonable next step for the page test part of your proposal would be to run the tests, collecting line-coverage statistics with and without the pagetests?  There may be other options to collect this, but  the --coverage option described in the bin/test --help output would be one approach.  If the unit tests alone have similar coverage to the unit tests plus pagetests, that would be at least a data point to console me.

Gary