Re: Page and Windmill Test Experiment

Tim beat me to the keyboard here, so let me add my vote to what he says.
Without Windmill, how do we propose to test stuff like AJAX
functionality which AIUI we must test in an actual browser? I think we
expect the amount of AJAX usage in Launchpad to increase? So taking away
a means to test that would be a problem I would think.

I also agree with other comments that it is less than desirable to
remove tests which do serve a useful purpose. Windmill tests are indeed
integration tests which exercise the entire stack end-end. The value of
this should not be underestimated for two reasons: 1. we do not seem to
have 100% coverage using alternate testing mechanisms and this type of
test is a great safety net since a breakage that may not be caught
elsewhere will often show up here; 2. full end-end system testing is
often the only way to catch certain classes of error which are difficult
to pick up with just unit or module tests. Add to that that as stated
above, there's currently no other alternative for AJAX testing etc.

As others have said, I think it comes down to the notion that Windmill
tests should be removed as a blocker for landing but not rollout. So +1
me on that. My view is:
- Windmill tests should stay for the reasons stated above
- they should be looked at during any code review
- they should pass locally before landing, where the robustness issues
associated with system load will be minimised
- they should be run out-of-band and also act as a blocker to prior to
rollout