Re: Private page style test (was RFD: Should Launchpad lie to its users?)

On Monday 08 November 2010 16:54:00 Henning Eggers wrote:
> Am 08.11.2010 17:28, schrieb Curtis Hovey:
> > On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 16:06 +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
> >> Have you considered the case where a page is made up of private and
> >> non-
> >> private objects?  The /builders page has this situation (among
> >> others).
> >
> > Not with a privacy stripe. There was discussion in the past of
> > decorating private items in a page with a lock. Private bugs have a lock
> > badge on them, but there was no decision to make it uniform since badges
> > are not a universal Launchpad concept.
>
> The lock is also used on branches, btw.
>
> This takes us back to the very beginning of the thread. A page that is
> public itself may reference (link to) private objects. The question was
> what to do if the user does not have access to those private objects and I
> think the answer was pretty clear that their mere existence should be
> denied. For those users who have access, the lock symbol is an appropriate
> hint, I believe.
>
> The builders page would be one of the exceptions to that rule. It would not
> make sense to display a builder as "Idle" just because it is building a
> private branch. But it could just be displayed as "Building" without any
> further details. (Maybe it already does that?) I don't see how any
> information could be deduced from that.
>
> I think this exception is created by the fact that the page itself is not
> the view of any specific object which displays links to related objects.
> It is a general overview page with no permanent relation to the objects it
> is displaying.

The builders page and the builder history page both show:

 * "Build for private source" if the user is unauthorised to see it
 * <build name> if they are authorised

This is all done manually in the tal which is a bit messy.  Ideally I'd like
to define something, somewhere, in code that defines a <div> as a possibly
private object, with its permission_required and alternate_text.

To be clear - this is entirely separate as to whether to linkify something or
not depending on its privacy.

Cheers.