Re: Private page style test (was RFD: Should Launchpad lie to its users?)

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 17:54 +0100, Henning Eggers wrote:
> The builders page would be one of the exceptions to that rule. It would not
> make sense to display a builder as "Idle" just because it is building a
> private branch. But it could just be displayed as "Building" without any
> further details. (Maybe it already does that?) I don't see how any information
> could be deduced from that.

When you try to register a blacklisted name, the user is told the name
is not available. The name may be reserved or it may really be taken.
The builder is not available, and I think that is good enough. I assume
a builder can be building, it could be idle, it could also be not
available for some reason, such as for maintenance and infrastructure
reasons.

In summary do not hide it, do not say it is idle. do not say it is doing
something secret. Just say it is not available.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/