Re: Private page style test (was RFD: Should Launchpad lie to its users?)

Am 08.11.2010 17:28, schrieb Curtis Hovey:
> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 16:06 +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered the case where a page is made up of private and
>> non-
>> private objects?  The /builders page has this situation (among
>> others).
>
> Not with a privacy stripe. There was discussion in the past of
> decorating private items in a page with a lock. Private bugs have a lock
> badge on them, but there was no decision to make it uniform since badges
> are not a universal Launchpad concept.

The lock is also used on branches, btw.

This takes us back to the very beginning of the thread. A page that is public
itself may reference (link to) private objects. The question was what to do if
the user does not have access to those private objects and I think the answer
was pretty clear that their mere existence should be denied. For those users
who have access, the lock symbol is an appropriate hint, I believe.

The builders page would be one of the exceptions to that rule. It would not
make sense to display a builder as "Idle" just because it is building a
private branch. But it could just be displayed as "Building" without any
further details. (Maybe it already does that?) I don't see how any information
could be deduced from that.

I think this exception is created by the fact that the page itself is not the
view of any specific object which displays links to related objects. It is a
general overview page with no permanent relation to the objects it is displaying.

I will look for a place on the dev wiki to document this. Anybody got a
suggestion?

Cheers,
Henning