Re: timeouts adjusted

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Rob,

>> I'll be cross referencing the soft timeouts (which haven't been
>> altered at all) to see when we can remove the overrides and also to
>> ensure that we consistently have timeout bugs filed for poorly
>> performing pages.
>
> Filing a bug for POFile:+translate page won't help much.  It issues a
> huge number of queries and we can only fix it by changing how it's doing
> things.  That's on our agenda, but it will take a while.  For now, we
> are able to keep it mostly in check with DB trickery.

Naturally. Same goes for BugTask:+index - which I've added a column to
BugMessage to address, but haven't yet had time to go back and start
populating - not everything is a low hanging fruit :).

> Unless you've got strong reasons to want to keep POFile:+translate under
> different rules, I'd like us to get rid of the exceptional timeout
> threshold for it.

If we drop the default timeout to 5 seconds, will that cause the
number of POFile:+translate timeouts to shoot up wildly? If so, I
think we should keep the exception and have a bug open: the bug would
be prioritised to the top of your kanban board backlog, and thus you'd
get on to it fairly soon.

If on the other hand the page is usually under 5 seconds, then sure,
we can have it track the default timeout and see what happens as the
default is lowered.

https://devpad.canonical.com/~lpqateam/ppr/lpnet/latest-daily-pageids.html
says that the 99% percentile time for that page yesterday was 5.14
seconds on 7300 page loads: thats pretty good for now, and I'd expect
that we can get by without an exception, so lets get it removed.

-Rob