Re: bug message indices. stable allocation and hidden messages

On 26.01.2011 00:25, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 26 January 2011 09:13, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Does anyone see an issue with us making bug message index allocation write-once?
>>
>> Separately, there is an open question about how to allocate the
>> indices when there are already hidden messages; I propose to be very
>> simple and just do date first->last.
>
> I agree that would actually be a minor feature: people sometimes refer
> to comments by number either in hyperlinks or comment text, and these
> will break if they change.
>
> If this is confusing we could later show "message #4 deleted".

Keeping links to single message stable is indeed better, and we do that
already by including hidden messages in the dynamically created index.
Showing additionally a hint "message #4 is deleted" would be an
improvement: At present. we simply have gaps in the numbering. See for
example the last comments on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/183685 : #496 is missing (execpt for LP
admins).

> John, I think messages only get hidden administratively when they are
> eg spam or were posted accidentally.  There're no acls within a
> message sequence.

right.