Re: bug message indices. stable allocation and hidden messages

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Abel Deuring
<abel.deuring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26.01.2011 00:25, Martin Pool wrote:
>> On 26 January 2011 09:13, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Does anyone see an issue with us making bug message index allocation write-once?
>>>
>>> Separately, there is an open question about how to allocate the
>>> indices when there are already hidden messages; I propose to be very
>>> simple and just do date first->last.
>>
>> I agree that would actually be a minor feature: people sometimes refer
>> to comments by number either in hyperlinks or comment text, and these
>> will break if they change.
>>
>> If this is confusing we could later show "message #4 deleted".
>
> Keeping links to single message stable is indeed better, and we do that
> already by including hidden messages in the dynamically created index.
> Showing additionally a hint "message #4 is deleted" would be an
> improvement: At present. we simply have gaps in the numbering. See for
> example the last comments on
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/183685 : #496 is missing (execpt for LP
> admins).
>

>> John, I think messages only get hidden administratively when they are
>> eg spam or were posted accidentally.  There're no acls within a
>> message sequence.
>
> right.

Just to be even more clear here --

Hiding comments today should *not* delete any messages and affect
comment numbering.  The LOSAs have an lplib script that hides them
using the `visible` attribute of an IBugMessage.  In the past, they
were deleted via a LOSA run SQL query, which indeed would have changed
comment numbering.

The other source of changing comment numbers, which can still be a
problem today, are bug watches that sync comments.  This can change
the comment number on a bug page, since imported comments inlined
according to timeline and given comment IDs.  When Robert and I spoke
about this, we discussed adding imported comments on the end of the
bug report to better indicate when the imported comments were added
relative to the LP bug page.  The UI of this will need some love to be
clear these are imported comments, and these imported comments should
preserve their own ordering relative to the upstream bug tracker.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge