Re: bug message indices. stable allocation and hidden messages

On 26 January 2011 18:28, Deryck Hodge <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The other source of changing comment numbers, which can still be a
> problem today, are bug watches that sync comments.  This can change
> the comment number on a bug page, since imported comments inlined
> according to timeline and given comment IDs.

I think imported comments should not have comment numbers.

Their URLs on Launchpad should probably be based on their ID, or the
#<num> links (obviously without a number) should point directly back
to the comment in the bug tracker from whence they came.

> When Robert and I spoke about this, we discussed adding imported
> comments on the end of the bug report to better indicate when the
> imported comments were added relative to the LP bug page.

I think this would be more confusing. I think it's important to show
messages chronologically. Imported comments do have a distinctive look
already; perhaps they can be made more so.

In general, I agree that comment numbers should be written once. I
don't think holes in the numbering are a problem. At least it's
obvious there's something missing. More confusing is renumbering.

Gavin.