Re: Resubmitting bug notification LEP for approval

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 11:46 -0500, Benji York wrote:
> > I think this is a policy change.
>
> Can you unpack the above a bit?  I don't understand the significance
> of
> the statement.
>
> My current interpretation is that we have an explicit policy of not
> providing List-ID and this would change that, but in reading the
> linked
> bugs I saw evidence that my interpretation was incorrect.
>
> A slight tangent: another advantage of List-ID is that Gmail's "Filter
> messages like this" feature works well with them.

Bugs comments, merge proposals, and questions are not lists. We have
mailing lists and we have rejected implying these Lp artefacts are
lists. We commonly argue that that gmail is broken, not Launchpad. The
counter argument is that Gmail is large enough to define standards and
we know Lp users prefer gmail.

I do not think there is anything wrong with saying something is a
mailing list if it *behaves* like a mailing list. There are many
implementations of list servers ad their feature sets are not identical.
I do not think there is anything wrong with Lp implementing mailing list
behaviours to work with non-personal email. We just need to set
expectations, that is to say, may it clear how it behaves like a list.
Users should not be sending unsubscribe emails to the launchpad bug
subscription if Lp does not support it.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/