Re: Resubmitting bug notification LEP for approval

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Benji York wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Deryck Hodge
> <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Likewise, we need some plain text equivalent for the rationale -- "You
>> received this mail because you are subscribed to Launchpad project
>> bugs tagged with lp-foo" -- and this will help Gmail users who can't
>> filter based on headers.
>
> I need to add one other header-related bit to the LEP: we plan for the
> messages to contain a List-ID header.  The upside of List-ID is that
> Gmail lets you filter on it.

I added this to the "Nice to have" section.

The problem I see for using List-ID, and specifically for the use case that Deryck described, is that multiple filters and even multiple structural subscriptions may cause a given notification to be sent.  List-ID has a very specific form that only allows one header, and only one spelling within that header (a hostname-type spelling).  AIUI, we could use it some of the time, but it would be unreliable.

Perhaps I am wrong with my analysis of the problem, but I do think putting it in "Nice to have" is the right thing to do for now.

Gary