Re: velocity: parallel testing or simplified merge machinery first

On 4 February 2011 04:28, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm wondering if folk have a particularly strong opinion (and
> rationale :P) for which we should do first. They are *both* partly
> implemented, and *both* are likely to have long tails leading to
> niggly bits to sort out over some weeks.

My gut feeling is that velocity is hurt most when:

1. Branches get lost in ec2, especially when there's no message to
   tell me or anyone else about it. I might not notice anything the
   matter until the following day.

2. Branches get bounced out of pqm. Again, this is exacerbated when
   there is no message to tell anyone about it. There's also sometimes
   a need to work with a LOSA to figure out what the reason was.

Both of these problems are worth fixing more than making the test
suite finish faster because they happen too often, and the delays they
introduce grow quickly and are without bound (well... there's common
sense when things get silly).

Also, with quicker test suite runs, we may subconsciously loosen our
belts and not be as aggressive about writing fast tests and gardening
useless and slow tests.