velocity: parallel testing or simplified merge machinery first

We've got a small quandary in our upcoming feature work items. Both
parallel testing and simplified merge machinery should help our
velocity; the former makes testing a (lot) faster - shorter cycle
times in our CI systems and on multicore developer machines. The
latter reduces breakage on trunk and will deal with large queues of
patches more efficiently.

We want both, eventually, but we can only schedule one in the next
'for us' feature team slot.

I'm wondering if folk have a particularly strong opinion (and
rationale :P) for which we should do first. They are *both* partly
implemented, and *both* are likely to have long tails leading to
niggly bits to sort out over some weeks.

Reply here, or to me, or whatever.

Thanks,
Rob

Follow ups