Re: velocity: parallel testing or simplified merge machinery first

On 4 February 2011 11:10, Gavin Panella <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 February 2011 04:28, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm wondering if folk have a particularly strong opinion (and
>> rationale :P) for which we should do first. They are *both* partly
>> implemented, and *both* are likely to have long tails leading to
>> niggly bits to sort out over some weeks.
>
> My gut feeling is that velocity is hurt most when:
>
> 1. Branches get lost in ec2, especially when there's no message to
>   tell me or anyone else about it. I might not notice anything the
>   matter until the following day.
>
> 2. Branches get bounced out of pqm. Again, this is exacerbated when
>   there is no message to tell anyone about it. There's also sometimes
>   a need to work with a LOSA to figure out what the reason was.
>
> Both of these problems are worth fixing more than making the test
> suite finish faster because they happen too often, and the delays they
> introduce grow quickly and are without bound (well... there's common
> sense when things get silly).

I was trying to write something similar to what Gavin wrote, but I'm
tired so I'll just say +1 and push Gavin forward if anyone wants to
ask me my opinion on things.

Parallel testing is a nice to have compared to merge machinery that
doesn't make me a sad bear.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D
http://launchpad.net/~gmb