Re: velocity: parallel testing or simplified merge machinery first

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11-02-03 11:28 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> We've got a small quandary in our upcoming feature work items. Both
>> parallel testing and simplified merge machinery should help our
>> velocity;
>
> I do TDD, so I think faster tests will improve my velocity more than
> simplifying the merge machinery.

Mid end desktops these days are 8 way machines that should be able to
easily do a full test run in < 60 minutes. If we setup parallel
testing in the DC (which would be part of a parallel test
implementation) we'd expect similar throughput from the DC hosted
tests - pqm and buildbot. Its entirely possible we could [trivially]
reenable pqm test-on-land as part of this. (Which doesn't simplify the
merge machinery, but would address the 'bad commit breaks test suite
massively' bug).

-Rob