Re: New developer documentation [experimental]

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 February 2011 13:31:48 Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> Hello Launchpadders,
>>
>> We now have a browseable version of Launchpad's developer
>> documentation at <http://lpqateam.canonical.com/doc/>.
>>
>> You can generate and view the docs locally with::
>>   $ make -C doc html
>>
>> And then open ``doc/_build/html/index.html`` in your browser of choice.
>>
>> It's very early days now, but the plan is:
>>  * make it look pretty
>>  * link back and forth between the wiki, these docs, and the API documents
>>  * edit some of the old documentation ruthlessly
>>  * link up more documentation within the tree
>>  * add some checks to prevent new rST / sphinx errors
>>  * give it a nicer URL
>>
>> My main hope is that this will make it easier to hack on Launchpad.
>> Secondarily, I hope it provides a focus for folk editing documents,
>> such that we'll be able to cut a bunch of useless text and keep a
>> solid, reader-oriented core.
>
> Great!  Is this meant to replace or complement the pydoc stuff that mwh did?

Complement. Michael's docs are at
http://people.canonical.com/~mwh/canonicalapi/ and are generated from
docstrings. The docs I've just published are for more general stuff:
guides, glossaries, howtos etc. The things some people pretend
doctests are for :P

There is also https://devpad.canonical.com/~gary/apidoc.launchpad.dev/++apidoc++/static.html
(sorry, Canonical folk only), which I don't really know what to do
with. It makes me think that for a project of this size, navigation is
everything.

I'll fix up the "Module index" link.

Thanks,
jml