Re: housecleaning: lp project official bug tags

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to cleanup our tags a little - we have 151 official tags. I
> don't mean to stop folk using arbitrary tags, just make the set we're
> /working with/ a little clearer and crisper: I don't think there is a
> lot of value making every single thing have a blessed tags. We should
> have tags for broad areas and for current LEPs.

Agreed.

> Please either ignore this mail (and I'll act on it next week). Or
> reply telling my part of it is a problem so I can revise my proposal
> and/or do things differently.

Are you aware of <https://dev.launchpad.net/LaunchpadBugTags>? Are you
planning on updating that as well?

> I'd like add the following official tags (helping to separate things):
> branches
> codehosting
> publish
> registry
> security
> soyuz
> stakeholder
> translations

I don't understand the thinking behind this list. Why pick "soyuz" as
a tag when there are many components that make it up? What does
"registry" mean?

> I'd like to delete the following tags as seeming not carrying enough
> use to be *official tags* in the project - they would stay on the
> relevant bugs, but not be always shown in the portlet, nor be offered
> in typeahead in the bug tags widget.

A lot of these are cleanups which are obviously good ideas. I don't
know what criteria you are using to decide that one tag is worthy of
being official and another is not. Why is 'canonical-losa-lp' to stay
official but 'oem-services' not? Why is 'patch-tracking' not worthy of
being official when 'codehosting' is? You say "broad area" above, but
I would have thought that "bug tags" were a broad area.

jml