Re: Why do we set the rooturl in the xmlrpc configuration?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:11:47 -0400, "Francis J. Lacoste" <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The page performance report doesn't list any information for the XML-RPC host.
> While investigating that issue, I found that the URL recorded in the logs for
> requests to these hosts point to https://launchpad.net and not
> https://xmlrpc.launchpad.net or https://xmlrpc.lp.internal
>
> Which makes sense since the vhost.xmlrpc and vhost.xmlrpc-private have a
> rooturl set to https://launchpad.net.
>
> Does anyone know why this is the case? Is it that some of the XML-RPC methods
> generate URLs (use canonical_url) and we need those to point to the web site?

I think this might be the case; one of the code import xml-rpc methods
can send an email reporting that the import has been marked failing, and
that (presumably) uses canonical_url to generate a link to the import
branch.

But this wasn't the reason for making the change, unless my memory is
being particularly leaky today.  Also the canonical url of the import
branch forces the rootsite to 'code', so I think the url will still come
out correctly... there may be some older xml-rpc method that has the
same consideration, but I can't think of it now.

> (There is an exception, some methods to the /codeimportscheduler do have the
> xmlrpc url recorded, not sure why, maybe these are using the IP/Port to
> connect and that prevents the URL normalization?)

I don't think that's the reason, although I don't have any real ideas
what it would be...

CHeers,
mwh