Re: Workaround field to bug reports

Alle 18:37 del 27/5/2011, Jonathan Lange ha scritto:
> For the advanced search page, I'm personally OK with the UI getting a
> little worse if it provides significantly helpful new functionality.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what the work-around checkbox is meant to do here
> though. None of the stories mention it. Paolo?

Yeah, you're right, it's not clear.

What I meant in that sketch is the ability to filter bugs with or without workaround. On
a second thought the options are three:

 - with workaround
 - without workaround
 - whatever (with or without workaround

So, a single checkbox it's not enough for three states.

> If we did this, I'd probably be happy with starting off with the
> existing full text search finding matches on the workaround field.

That would be great. :)

Maybe I gave the wrong message trying to desing the user interface in that page. My
intent is to provide just the user needs from a community point of view; how to
implement it it's completely up to you guys, I haven't idea what's the best thing to do
from an implementional point of view, according launchpad vision and priorities.

> Some more questions for Paolo, or other people who want to fix this problem:
>  * What do bugs without a known workaround look like?

Maybe something visual would be shown when there's a workaround available. A little icon
like a parachute somewhere, maybe?

>  * What would the result be for
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/NNNNNN/workaround if there's no
> known workaround? (it's a good idea btw)

Empty text wouldn't be a good result, maybe just a sentence: "No known workarounds"?

>  * What mechanism, if any, do we provide for handling bugs that have
> already have workarounds in comments?

Good question. Let me think about it. I tend for a community approch, anyway. Something
like finding all the possible workarounds with some searches, put somewhere the list and
ask people to review and confirm if it's a workaround or not. That would be a bitesize
task for those interested in QA, and something to fix with events like hug days.

> Finally, both the bug and the mailing list record disagreements about
> whether or not this is a good idea. I am convinced that the
> disagreement cannot be resolved by discussion. However, I don't know
> what else to do. Got any ideas?

Somebody said that Launchpad is not the right place for the end users. Maybe that's
right, so what we would need is just an easy way to export this information on the right
place (forum, ask ubuntu, etc.).

Let's state the rationale better:

For an end user knowing that his trouble is an already known bug is not so useful.
Knowing that the bug is already known, somebody is hopefully working on it and in the
meanwhile there's a workaround changes completely the user perception around quality.

Does everybody agree on this?

How can we provide this information to the users in the right way?

Ciao
--
Paolo Sammicheli
EMail: xdatap1(at)ubuntu.com