Re: Launchpad persona in Launchpad

On 2011-05-31 11:36, Robert Collins wrote:
We're clearly talking past each other.

Clearly! I was vague in my original email because I was thinking solutions might go in very different directions than I was suggesting, but after the first misunderstandings there was just no way to get back to the core question. I'm deeply relieved to see that we're past this hurdle.

Either I don't understand the problem, in which case please help me
understand, or I do and my points are not clear for some reason.

No, it's not that your points aren't clear at all; it's just that they had nothing to do with the problem I was trying to inquire about.

My question is about celebrities like the Janitor, strictly to serve as a Person to refer to in the database when no human or team is appropriate: as an owner of things, as an author of messages, and so on. Entirely passive from a technical perspective.

From the user's point of view, it's a persona representing some aspect of Launchpad. They would perceive it as an actor, but it isn't one in the technical sense. As an outcropping of the passive "person in the database" essence its email address could be used here and there (e.g. on outgoing emails or bzr commits), but that's about as far as the "actor" aspect goes.

Think of this as part of Launchpad's "face" that just grew without concerted design. Currently, that face comes with a broom. When I ask "in whose name should Launchpad generate this persistent message that will show up in the UI?" people tell me "just use the Janitor, that's what everyone else does."

Now, I feel that:
 * Impersonating people covers many use-cases.
 * That's one reason why we shouldn't just keep adding celebrities.
 * So far we have only a few, but for convenience not by design.
 * The technical friction of adding one is greater now than it was.
 * Impersonation doesn't solve _every_ need.
 * For remaining cases, a "Launchpad" persona can still be useful.
 * We currently over-use the Janitor for that.
 * Again this is through least resistance rather than by design.
 * A "Launchpad" persona would be more widely appropriate.
 * We ought to take a step back and consider this non-ad-hoc.

So these feelings drive me in the direction of a "Launchpad as a Person" as a celebrity to end all celebrities, sort of.

Especially when it comes to Person references, email addresses etc. that the user will see, this could replace "I guess we'll just use the Janitor" and possibly (though not necessarily) "whatever account this script runs under" as choices of Person in cases where neither of those nor impersonation is appropriate.

But most importantly I wanted to have a shared look at what we really need here, and come up with a properly considered guideline instead of an organic growth of rubber bands and paperclips.

Jeroen