Re: RFC: change from using lint to using a pretty printer

I'm +1 on at least running one against our codebase and seeing what it
does to it and +0 on the idea in general.

On 14 June 2011 10:26, Julian Edwards <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good formatting is part of good coding practice IMO, and helps prevent the
> bugs appearing in the first place in my experience.  But I agree that this
> should not be a barrier to entry for casual contributors.

I agree with both of these points. Actually what I think a pretty
printer would buy is:

 - Consistent code style (we have to make sure that's a
   sane code style)
 - Reviewers not burning neurons on getting devs to change
   their code to make it more readable.

We do less of the second now than we used to anyway, but it would be
nice as a reviewer to know that the pretty printer is going to tidy up
a lot of nitpicks when the code lands.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D
http://launchpad.net/~gmb