Re: RFC: change from using lint to using a pretty printer

> However, if I was working on a pipeline, I would be annoyed at having
> to resolve conflicts in later branches when merging trunk because a
> prettifier had changed my code. I can throw away the prettifier's
> changes, once I realise that's what they are, but the act of figuring
> that out and throwing away the changes negates in part the benefit of
> having a prettifier.

+1

The above is the main reason why I would be against automated code
reformatting as part of the landing process. I've been bitten too many
times in the past by this type of issue for any perceived benefits to be
worth it. Plus as others have said I want human control of the finer
details of formatting for readability in specific circumstances. I
personally don't find the formatting issues highlighted by the linter
too onerous to deal with and generally there aren't too many anyways.
That would be different for casual contributors who are less familiar
with the coding standards but the size of their changes tends to be
small enough I would guess that it's not really a big issue.

Some my vote is a big -1 for automated code reformatting. I like the
current way, but would love it if we could disable the "false positives"
already mentioned in the thread.