Re: A draft microservice for gpg verification

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Stuart Bishop
> <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I've refactored this into parts and added the client side code I think
>> we need. I've also added ZeroMQ as an alternative transport.
>
> Cool!. I'd like to tie
> https://dev.launchpad.net/ArchitectureGuide/ServicesRequirements in
> here: the server and the client should be in separate trees so that
> the LP isn't *able* to bypass stuff and import the server. e.g.
> gpgverify_client.

Sure. This is just a mock up at the moment. I'd like to get backend
independent APIs for RPC, Queue and Pub/Topic subscription in the LP
tree or somewhere.

> I think once you have a broker 0mq starts to look a lot more like
> haproxy+http; its real strengths lie in point to point arrangements.
> Of course, as I'm still a total noob, this is probably wrong :)

So for point to point RPC, I think you either need to hard code all
the endpoints or implement a directory, and the load balancing gets
bogus.

> I'm very glad we're getting some experience with different protocols;
> let the party continue :).

Did we discount XML-RPC for any particular reason? I think maybe that,
rabbit and peoples personal favorite web frameworks up next if people
are enthusiastic.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/