Re: What should we do if a user's email addresses have all bounced?

On Jul 8, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

> This sounds pretty nice.
>
> Uhm, I think folk would be surprised if we altered where we send all
> their mail; particularly folk that wear a few hats / whatever - e.g.
> imagine a 'check once a month' address, which suddenly gets 100's of
> mails a day.

Yeah, this crossed my mind too.  Automation is only "magic" if it actually does what you want.

> I think contacting folk on multiple addresses when we get close to
> disabling / or when we have disabled their primary address makes
> sense.

That appeals to me.  I'd be inclined to say "when we have disabled their primary address" until we get evidence from users that "when we get close to disabling" is desirable.

> I think we have 3 categories of mail:
> - regular stuff
> - It looks like you are bouncing notifications
> - signup/reactivation mails
>
> I guess I'm proposing that for regular stuff, when sending to an
> address [not a person, because lists allow per-list address choices]
> once its bad, we stop sending the mail altogether (but keep nagging
> for a while about bounces)

+1

> For 'you look like your address is bouncing', we should probably try a
> little beyond regular mail halting, in case they reactivate or were
> filtering all bugmail for instance.

+1 on the idea of broadcasting the single initial message of "your primary email address is bouncing, so we changed your account's status on Launchpad, and you might want to do something about this."  to all validated emails, irrespective of whether they are disabled. Subsequent  probe emails (maybe that's what you mean by "reactivation" below?) would go to the preferred, bouncing email address.

> And for signup/reactivation stuff we need to ignore the bounce status
> of an email address.
>
> HTH, just broad thoughts - I like the direction you are taking this.

Cool, thank you for the feedback.

Gary