Re: Launchpad's tone of voice

On 11 July 2011 18:48, Brad Crittenden <brad.crittenden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've updated our user interface wording page [1] to talk about
>> Launchpad's tone of voice and to add a short check-list that we can
>> use when writing UI text.
>>
>> Is this page useful? Do you have any suggestions for how I can make it
>> more useful?
>
> Thanks for updating this page Matthew -- I find it very helpful.
>
> Is the British spelling requirement new?

Sort of; by which I mean "yes". For at least two years now the company
style guide has required British English. As we're aiming to bring
Launchpad more into line with the Canonical brand, and we're
undertaking a rebrand project, it seems like the right time for
Launchpad to also switch to British English.

> I know most of the Launchpad interface currently uses US spelling.  Will you have a massive branch that inserts a lot of superfluous 'u's?  :)

In effect, yes. In practice, it'll be a few branches.

> There is mention of specific reviews of text changes.  For a while we were pretty good about doing those.  Have you seen any lately?

People tend to ask me for input before the review stage, these days,
which I think works better for everyone. The user research stuff has
also had an input on UI text, as participants have picked up on
unclear text.

> If you don't find it to be too rude for those with no access, links to the internal documents would be handy.

I'm going to ask Roz if we can publish at least some part of the
company style guide. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to.

--
Matthew Revell -- https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting